Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Early Choral Music in a Sacred Space


-sigh- What is it about female voices in unison, singing the works of female composers, women in cloister? It feels naked-- even modern-- but the music I'm talking about is from as early as the 8th century. Maybe it's me, but I just find female monastic music mesmerizing. This performance is at the Grace Church on Essex Street in Salem, and the group is Clausura, a Boston group of vocalist and early instrumentalists who are devoted to exposing the works of these cloistered nuns from a long ago age when expressing themselves through music was forbidden. Most of their repertoire is early Italian baroque. And it happens on Mother's Day, MAy 10 at 7:30 pm-- I think I'm taking Mom to this one.



Get a preview and listen to their tracks:
http://www.clausura.org/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment