Friday, May 8, 2009

The best arts events you've been to?


Just wondering what has been the best performance/exhibit/presentation in the arts that you've attended North of Boston. (maybe in the last 3 years or so?) My faves have included Summer Theatre at Salem's A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum last summer, with Peter Zachari as Pseudolus. (Bryan Kingsley Collins and Brianne Beatrice from Forum pictured above.) I also loved hearing Paula Robeson, perhaps the greatest living flute player today, perform with Symphony by the Sea. Of course, as I said in a previous post, I can't think of a better 4th of July than spending it listening to the Hillyer Festival Orchestra on Derby Wharf, watching fireworks over the silhouette of the Friendship. Oh! The best family event I attended was the Griffen Theatre's Christmas Carol on the Trolley, which took me and my nephews to various locations across Salem from the Crotchet's House to the graveyard of Scrooge's worst nightmare. Fabulous!! Anyways, I'd love to know what was top-notch according to you!

Coming up soon, Machine 475 at Gulu Gulu on Friday May 22, 8PM.
Combining electronic and acoustic rhythms with vocals, guitar, harp, sitar, digeridoo and theremin, Machine 475 are well known in the Salem and North Shore region, and are building quite a following in the Boston area. They have that futurist/retro combo sound, and it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment